Statement of Purpose
The Transportation Research Forum (TRF) is an independent organization of transportation professionals. Its purpose is to provide an impartial meeting ground for carriers, shippers, government officials, consultants, university researchers, suppliers, and others seeking an exchange of information and ideas related to both passenger and freight transportation. The Forum provides pertinent and timely information to those who conduct research and those who use and benefit from research.
The exchange of information and ideas is accomplished through international, national, and local TRF meetings and by publication of professional papers related to numerous transportation topics.
The TRF encompasses all modes of transport and the entire range of disciplines relevant to transportation, including:
- Marketing and Pricing
- Financial Controls and Analysis
- Labor and Employee Relations
- Carrier Management
- Organization and Planning
- Technology and Engineering
- Urban Transportation and Planning
- Governmental Policy
- Equipment Supply
- Environment and Energy
- Intermodal Transportation
- Transportation and Supply Chain Management
TRF’s Annual International Meeting has been a showpiece of our professional agenda since 1960. This widely anticipated gathering attracts researchers, industry professionals, consultants, and students from around the world. The Annual Meeting generally starts on a Thursday afternoon and extends through Friday, featuring 10 – 12 podium sessions plus a poster session, reception our Awards Luncheon. Meetings are typically hosted by geographic chapter, usually during the spring months.
At its Annual Meeting, TRF presents an award for the best overall and graduate student papers. Recognition is also given by TRF to an individual for Distinguished Transportation Research. Annual Meetings generally include the following features:
- Members are addressed by prominent speakers from government, industry, and academia.
- Speakers typically summarize (not read) their papers, then discuss the principal points with the members.
- Members are encouraged to participate actively in any session; sufficient time is allotted for discussion of each paper.
- Some sessions are organized as debates or panel discussions.
Programs and Member Benefits
TRF also hold regular events throughout the year, including luncheon meetings and webinars, many of which are hosted by our geographic chapters. Members are generally notified of all chapter events offered in virtual format, which is just one of many benefits of membership. For a summary of the advantage of joining our organization, please visit the Membership Benefits and Events Calendar tabs.