Chicago has always been a hub of transportation in North America, so it’s logical that the city should host a local chapter of the TRF. Chapter officers and members meet quarterly to discuss the newest transportation innovations and research at local universities, and at planning and operating agencies throughout the region.
The Chicago chapter builds on a long history of TRF activity in the Windy City. While that activity gradually faded as large railroads left the city as a result of bankruptcies and mergers, today, a third of the nation’s rail freight originates, terminates or passes through Chicago. It is home to the nation’s busiest airport and second largest transit system. Its highway system is large and complex. The Chicago chapter of TRF provides a unique forum for transportation researchers and professionals that serve this large and complex system to share ideas, address challenges and build on opportunities facing the Chicago area.
Chicago Chapter Webinar
Executive Team at getmiles.com & E-Scooter Analysis
Tuesday, December 11, 2018 12 p.m. CST
Join us for a special webinar with the executive team of Miles (getmiles.com), a Silicon Valley-based innovative transportation technology company helping cities incentivize “green” transportation choices and gain real time multi-modal data-based insights for planning. Miles is the world’s first universal rewards platform and app empowering anyone to earn miles and accrue value simply by traveling how they do every day. Through partnerships with Miles, several cities — including Contra Costa (East SF Bay Area), City of Aspen, and Seattle — have either rolled out or are rolling out programs allowing users to earn miles for their daily commute automatically (without the need to open the app) and redeem them for exclusive rewards.
The webinar will also feature a new analysis by DePaul University’s C. Scott Smith on the potential mobility benefits of shared electric scooters. Scott will share the results of statistical model he created to explore the types of trips in Chicago in which scooters can reduce travel time relative to other modes.
- Link: We will share the link and instructions to join the webinar via email several days before the event
- Panelists: Paresh Jain, Miles Co-Founder, Business Development & Strategy; Ron Drabkin, Miles, City & Transit Partnerships; C. Scott Smith, DePaul University
- Discussants: Erik Cempel, TRF-Chicago
- Moderator: Joe Schwieterman, Professor & Director of the Chaddick Institute and TRF-Chicago Chapter President
- RSVP: Free for members of TRF, email firstname.lastname@example.org to RSVP. Non-members may attend by registering for TRF and your membership will be good through 2019. Click here for more information.
2017 – 2018 Chicago Chapter Officers
President | Joseph Schwieterman, DePaul University
Vice President, Programs | Laurence Audenaerd
Vice President, Membership | Ken Dallmeyer
Secretary/Treasurer | Mark Boyle, Village of Lisle
Chapter Communications | Matthew Jacques, DePaul University
Contact the Chicago Chapter at email@example.com